Things are getting busy in the Atlantic, with another system moving toward the Gulf of Mexico. The National Weather Service is watching A tropical wave east of the southern Windward Islands It is likely to become a tropical depression within the next two or three days as it moves toward the central Caribbean Sea later this week, and another off the coast of Africa.
Tropical Storm Gaston formed in the mid-Atlantic hours after developing into a tropical depression about 990 miles west of the Azores. It is expected to strengthen further in the next day or two.
During this. Hurricane Fiona strengthened into a Category 4 hurricane this morning after it left the Turks and Caicos Islands and headed for Bermuda, causing devastation. Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic received up to 30 inches of rain, causing widespread flooding, landslides, loss of power and drinking water, and destruction.
Hurricane Fiona ravages Puerto Rico. Here’s how you can help.
As of Tuesday, at least three people have been killed, thousands displaced and about 80% of the island was still without electricity, according to FEMA. More rain is forecast during the week in parts of Puerto Rico. More than 12,000 people were displaced in the Dominican Republic, more than a million people were without running water, more than 7,000,000 homes and businesses were without electricity, 3,000 homes were damaged or destroyed, and four bridges collapsed, according to the National Emergency Operations Center he said.
The next named storm in the Atlantic will be Hermione.
Revised Seasonal Forecast:Atlantic hurricane season off to a slow start. But top forecasters still expect higher-than-normal activity
Here is the latest update from the NHC as of September 21 at 5 am:
- Location: 700 miles southwest of Bermuda
- Maximum wind speed: 130 mph
- Direction: North 8 mph
- Next piece: 11 a.m. ET
At 8:00 a.m. EDT, the eye of Hurricane Fiona was located near latitude 24.2 north, longitude 71.7 west by Air Force Hurricane Hunter aircraft. Fiona is moving to the north near 8 mph. This general motion is expected to continue till this evening. A turn towards the north-northeastwards with an increase in forward speed is expected by Thursday.
Maximum sustained winds are near 130 mph with higher gusts. Fiona is a Category 4 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. Some additional strengthening is forecast by tonight, with some fluctuation in intensity possible on Thursday.
Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 45 miles from the center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 160 miles.
The latest minimum central pressure estimated from observations by Air Force Hurricane Hunter aircraft is 937 MB.
A Hurricane Watch is in effect for:
A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for:
A Hurricane Warning means that hurricane conditions are expected somewhere within the warning area, in this case within the next 24 hours. Preparations should be completed expeditiously to protect life and property.
A Hurricane Watch means that storm conditions are possible within the monitoring area. A watch is usually issued 48 hours before the anticipated first occurrence of tropical-storm-force winds, conditions that make outdoor preparation difficult or dangerous.
A Tropical Storm Warning means that tropical storm status is expected somewhere within the warning area within 36 hours.
A tropical storm watch means that tropical storm conditions are possible within the watch area, usually within 48 hours.
Spaghetti Model for Hurricane Fiona
Check out the latest models on where Hurricane Fiona could go.
tropical storm gaston
- Location: 850 miles west of the Azores
- Maximum wind speed: 65 mph
- Direction: NE 16 mph
- Next piece: 8 a.m. ET
At 5:00 a.m. EDT, the center of Tropical Storm Gaston was located near latitude 37.5 north, longitude 42.6 west.
Gaston is moving to the northeast near 16 mph. It is expected to turn northeast today, followed by eastward motion from Thursday.
Maximum sustained winds have increased to near 65 mph with higher gusts. After weakening gradually, some additional strength is possible today. Tropical-hurricane-force winds extend outward from the center for 70 miles. The estimated minimum central pressure is 1000 mb.
What else is there and where are they?
Tropical Wave 1: A tropical wave is producing showers and thunderstorm activity a few hundred miles east of the southern Windward Islands. This disturbance is forecast to move west-northwestwards from the South Windward Islands by late tonight and then move towards the central Caribbean Sea later this week. Interests in the Windward Islands should closely monitor the progress of this system as heavy rainfall and strong winds could affect these islands starting today.
Tropical Wave 2: A tropical wave is forecast to move off the west coast of Africa on Thursday.
Tropical Wave 3: A tropical wave located several hundred miles west-southwest of the Cabo Verde Islands is producing disordered shower activity.
How likely are they to be strong?
Tropical Wave 1: The system continues to show signs of organization and is very likely to become a tropical depression within the next two or three days.
- Chance of formation through 48 hours: High, 70 percent.
- Chances of formation through 5 days: High, 90 percent.
Tropical Wave 2: Environmental conditions are forecast to be favorable for at least a gradual development of the system for a few days thereafter, while the system gradually moves northwards between West Africa and the Cabo Verde Islands by the end of the week.
- Chance of formation through 48 hours: Low, 10 percent.
- Chance of formation through 5 days: Moderate, 50 percent.
Tropical Wave 3: Slow development of this system is possible over the next several days as it moves northwest and then west over the tropical Atlantic.
- Chance of formation through 48 hours: Low, close to 0 percent.
- Chance of formation through 5 days: Low, 20 percent.
Who is likely to be affected?
Tropical waves: It is too early to determine whether tropical waves will have any effect on the US
Forecasters urge all residents to continue monitoring the tropics and always be prepared during the active hurricane season.
Colorado State University’s 2-Week Forecast for September 15-28
Colorado State University’s hurricane forecast gives the highest odds for above normal activity from September 15-28 – 50% – with lower odds for normal – 40% – and below normal – 10%.
When is Atlantic hurricane season?
The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30.
When is the peak of hurricane season?
Although the start of the season is calm, the peak of the season is September 10, with most activity occurring between mid-August and mid-October, according to the Hurricane Center.
Weather clocks and warnings issued for your area
Tropical forecast for the next five days
See the National Hurricane Center’s five-day graphical tropical weather outlook below.
heavy rain forecast
What is there?
The system is currently being monitored by the National Hurricane Center.
What will happen next?
We will continue to update our tropical weather coverage daily. To make sure you’re always connected to the news, download your local site’s app. and see our Exclusive membership offer here,