LONDON (AP) – Reports that up to 100 workers at the former residence of King Charles III could lose their jobs have criticized the British monarchy, within days of his accession to the throne.
The Guardian newspaper reported on Tuesday that dozens of employees at Clarence House, Charles’ former official residence, had been served notices that their jobs were on the line. The report said the notice came in the middle of a busy period of transition as Charles and his wife Camilla, the Queen consort, moved to Buckingham Palace following the death of Queen Elizabeth II on Thursday.
The Public and Commercial Services union called the royals’ decision to notify employees about job cuts during the mourning period as “nothing short of merciless”.
“While some changes were to be expected in households, changing roles in the royal family, the scale and speed at which the announcement has been made has peaked,” said union general secretary Mark Cervotka.
Britain is in national mourning until Monday, when the Queen’s state funeral will be held.
In a statement, Clarence House said that following Charles’ admission, operations of his and Camilla’s home “have ceased” and that “according to the law, a consultation process has begun.”
“While some redundancies will be unavoidable, we are working urgently to identify alternative roles for the largest number of employees,” the statement said.
The Guardian said that an unidentified member of Charles’ staff told the newspaper that “everyone is absolutely burning … people were obviously shaken by it.”
Criticism poured negative pressure for the 73-year-old monarch after two videos of him teasing a leaked pen and a pen holder went viral on social media in recent days.
In a video, Charles was seen losing his temper over a leaked pen as he was signing a visitor’s book in front of cameras in Northern Ireland, where he was on Tuesday on the latest leg of his four-nation royal tour of Britain. was going to
Charles was heard saying “Oh my god, I hate this!” And murmuring “I can’t bear this bloody thing… stinks every time.”
The video comes after another pen-related incident on Saturday, when the new monarch was seen pointing jealously at his staff after a pen holder got in his way signing a document during his enthronement ceremony. .
Charles has been under intense media scrutiny and had a grueling schedule since the death of his mother in Scotland on Thursday. He and Camilla traveled from Scotland to London for their accession ceremony and traveled to Parliament to address legislators, before heading back to Scotland where he walked behind the Queen’s coffin.
He then left for Northern Ireland on Tuesday and returned to London the same night to process the Queen’s coffin from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Hall on Wednesday.