NHC issues hurricane warning for Puerto Rico

Storm surge and a deluge from Tropical Storm Fiona plagued the Caribbean island of Guadeloupe, with at least two people reportedly swept away by rising waters as the system threatened Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands on Saturday.

In an 11 a.m. update on Saturday, NHC said Fiona was maintaining high gusts of 60 mph. NHC has issued a hurricane warning for Puerto Rico.

The system strengthened after passing through the northern Leeward Islands. Croix in the US Virgin Islands, moving to the west at 8 mph.

Heavy rain will spread west into the British and American Isles and Puerto Rico today, the Dominican Republic on Sunday, and the Turks and Caicos on Monday night.

Its tropical-storm-force winds extend for up to 125 miles.

According to the National Hurricane Center, Fiona strengthened after moving into the northeast Caribbean Sea on Friday evening and could achieve hurricane strength by Monday.

Torrential rain left behind heavy road damage on Guadeloupe, with videos on Twitter showing rapid flooding as roads swelled and cars washed up to 2 feet across the streets.

Estimated rainfall in some parts of the island was more than 8 inches.

Government officials from the French Foreign Department said two people were missing who were washed away overnight by water.

The NHC hurricane specialist said, “On the forecast track, the Virgin Islands south of the center of Fiona and south or south of Puerto Rico is expected to reach the south or east coast of the Dominican Republic today through Sunday night and Monday. ” Brad Reinhart.

Already under a tropical storm warning, hurricane watches were issued for Puerto Rico as well as parts of the Dominican Republic.

Warnings are in place for the US Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, Sabah, St. Eustatius, St. Maarten, Guadeloupe, St. Barthélemy, St. Martin and parts of the Dominican Republic.

The system’s updated path is projected to travel away from Florida while gaining hurricane strength before making landfall over the Dominican Republic on the island of Hispaniola. It is expected to maintain hurricane strength as a Category 1 system with winds of 75 mph and gusts of 90 mph as it passes over the island, approaching Turks and Caicos and next. Threatens the southern Bahamas early in the week.

The threat of heavy rain and potential flooding faces many islands of up to 16 inches in Puerto Rico and up to 12 inches in the Dominican Republic.

Saturday’s new five-day forecast sees it winding even further north and into the Atlantic Ocean, and is gaining strength as a Category 2 system with sustained winds of 90 mph by Wednesday.

Elsewhere in the Atlantic, a tropical wave was detected on Thursday between the west coast of Africa and the islands of the Lesser Antilles. The weather system is producing disorderly precipitation and thunderstorms, and is predicted to develop gradually later this week and early next week when it turns north over the central subtropical Atlantic. NHC gives it 20% to be built in five days.

In addition, the NHC has dropped the formation probability to 0% for a Frontal Low over the western Atlantic Ocean a few hundred miles west-northwest of Bermuda, which emerged Friday morning.

Despite the low probability, their emergence coincides with the release of its tropical forecast for the next two weeks by Colorado State University, saying that the tropics may become more busy and more than 50% of activity is likely. CSUs gave a 40% chance of having normal activity and a 10% chance of below-average activity.

Fiona could become the third hurricane of the season after hurricanes Daniela and Earl earlier this month.

What was forecast to be above average tropical weather was mostly calm in July and August before picking up steam on September 1.

The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 1. 30.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*